The purpose of this blog is to provide you and your extended family information about our class's adventures, important dates, homework updates, helpful web links and everyone's favorite - photographs! Because our blog isn't "private," nor are the photographs copyright protected, I don't post too many pictures of the children's faces. Most often I post some student work in progress, a picture of a place we share together, a distance shot of the students at work or play, or a photograph taken by a student.
Please be sure to sign up for automatic blog updates using the signup feature at right in the blog's sidebar. The blog will help you stay in touch with class happenings. I will update the blog as often as possible, and I typically do updates on weekends. I want to be up front in letting you know my primary focus will be the design and implementation of engaging, enriching and rigorous curriculum, rather than the blog.
Your children will likely experience many emotions about these changes, and with the onset of puberty, they will likely need additional supports. Thanks for supporting your child during this time of transition by helping them get the extra attention, extra sleep, and the extra food they may need. Please feel free to email me if your child needs additional help or attention from me during this or any other time of the year. I check email daily and will typically respond within 48 hours hchaney [at] pps.net. Please note that I do not have time in my schedule to check email during the day, so please call the office with urgent or time-sensitive issues.
I am beginning my 14th year teaching at Sunnyside (having spent three years in middle school, and ten in 3rd grade). I am so excited to be part of the 5th grade team as a collaborative partner with Monica in the portable next to ours, and with Leo in the 4/5 blend upstairs. The fifth grade classes do plenty of things together, so although your child may be separated from some friends in other classrooms, they will have ample opportunity to see these friends at breaks, recess and lunch.
SOME PROCEDURAL DETAILS...
Drop-off Procedure: The first bell rings at 8:40am. The tardy bell rings at 8:45am. Fifth grade is marked with a huge jump in independence, and continuing shift of responsibility. Be sure you sign your student in at the office if they are more than five minutes late to class (8:50 am, or later) or they will be marked absent.
Pick-up procedure: Be sure you and your child have chosen an after-school meeting spot, and thanks for choosing a spot that doesn't block or hinder movement from the portables. Students not picked up by 3:15pm should come back in to the portable to let me know, and then head to the office to wait for pick up.
5th Grade Supplies:
Link to all K-5 Supply Lists (meant to save you time and money!)
Sign Up for the School Calendar!
You can accept the SES calendar as part of Google calendars! Here's the link...
SES Google Calendar
Getting to Know Your Child Survey
I have created this survey so I can get to know your child through your eyes. It is ESSENTIAL for me to know your child well in order to best meet their academic and social needs. I would be so appreciative if you would please take some time to complete this important information!
Swing by and say "hi"!
I would love to meet you, or hear from you to introduce yourselves! Please feel free to drop by after school to introduce yourself as able, or you can email me at hchaney [at] pps.net. My one "ask" is for families to please refrain from popping in to chat with me between 8:00am - 8:40am before class begins in the morning, as that is my most productive work time, and I like to preserve that time in order to be prepared for teaching your children. Of course if there's an urgent matter, you are welcome to seek help in the office, and they can advise you on how best to get your message to me.
Here is a Google Doc with more detail about curriculum as well as additional details about our year.
Here's to a beautiful and exciting year for us all!
Best,
Heather :)