Hi Everyone,
It was so great to see so many of you at Back to School Night, but for those who couldn't make it, no worries! I am attaching all the links to curriculum and the slideshow here!
Back to School Slideshow (with embedded links to curriculum)
Below is a BIG update of some of the important work we are doing in 5th grade. Sorry I've been incommunicative thus far - lots to do, and so much to tell you!
Back to School Slideshow (with embedded links to curriculum)
Below is a BIG update of some of the important work we are doing in 5th grade. Sorry I've been incommunicative thus far - lots to do, and so much to tell you!
Global Climate March
Two Fridays ago, on September 20th, our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes participated in the Global Climate March by marching around the Sunnyside neighborhood. There were plenty of folks walking and driving along the route who gave the students supportive smiles, thumbs up, cheers, and honks. Learning about climate change will be a year-long (and life-long) discussion.
Prior to Friday, we spent several class periods learning more about climate change, and how climate is different from weather. Students also learned about a few young climate activists, and some of the work that is being done in the global efforts to mitigate climate change, and change global policies. Lots of the students have begun to make action plans to help mitigate climate change at a community and local level. Look for those groups to reach out and ask for support this year, potentially through email, the Sunnyside Messenger, or through the blog.
We used this week to continue to educate ourselves about climate change, and came up with some ideas about how we can take action. On Wednesday we had guest speakers from the Youth Climate Council (high school students) speak to our class about their work on climate justice. They said they were so impressed by how much we already know, and they said it gave them hope for the future. Greta Thunberg was recently on the Daily show, so I showed the students that segment, and Greta said the best way to combat climate change is to educate yourself, so that's where we are starting!
This week we will discuss how Greta is most definitely not the first youth climate activist, and we will be looking at indigenous and POC youth activists.
Ask your child if they are in the "feeling," "acting," "believing," or "thinking" quadrant (or a combination of any of those quadrants). We placed ourselves in those quadrants after watching Greta Thunberg's Speech in front of the UN.
Community Building
This is one of the most important, foundational aspects of learning. Building and strengthening what I often refer to as our "classroom family" is not something I do for a few days before moving on to "real learning." If I don't know your children well, and if they don't know each other well, they will not feel safe to take the risks necessary for learning.
Writing
This is one of the most important, foundational aspects of learning. Building and strengthening what I often refer to as our "classroom family" is not something I do for a few days before moving on to "real learning." If I don't know your children well, and if they don't know each other well, they will not feel safe to take the risks necessary for learning.
Writing
We are currently delving into personal narrative stories. Students are working on elaboration (adding detail), and honing their writing craft.
Ask your child what they've been writing about in their writing notebook. We are trying to capture a new strong mental image in writing each day. That way, when it's time to choose a one story to take through the whole writing process, they have plenty to draw from.
You can help your child by telling them about small moments and stories from when you were their age, or small moment stories from your day where you draw out the details in a way that makes the small moment feel big.
Reading
During silent reading these last few weeks, I have been letting your children self-select whatever they see in our classroom library that interests them in order for me to have relaxed conversations with them about their favorite genres, their most favorite recently read books and what they'd like to accomplish in reading this year. This by no means is the only way I gather information about your children's reading. I meet 1:1 weekly with your children all year to assess their reading, choose strategies to help them become more self-sufficient, independent readers and encourage them to read in multiple genres all year. This year your children will be reading chapter books in class during silent reading. There will be times during the week where they may choose graphic novels, but it is something your child and I will discuss on a 1:1 basis.
Read Aloud
Our current read aloud is a seemingly simple, yet complex story called, "Home of the Brave" by Katherine Applegate ("One and Only Ivan" This story is written entirely in non-rhyming verse, and it tells of a boy who is a refugee who comes to America. We are building ideas and theories about the story using evidence from the text. I am also assessing each student to find their current reading level. My goal is to finish assessing each student by the end of this week. Students will then be told their reading level, and we will work on getting a right-fit book in their hands. Students should be reading at least 20-30 minutes each evening.
Math
In math we are working on deepening our understanding of area (dimensions), and moving into volume of 3D figures. Revisiting area through arrays will also be the model we will use to learn more about division of larger numbers. This week, students will be learning about prime factorization.
Students began their first MAPS testing last week, and I hope to have them complete that assessment this week, but it depends on our access to the one Chromebook cart we share as a 3rd-5th grade team. This is a test that measures what students know in math and informs what they're ready to learn next.
Important Dates
Monday, September 30th: last day to place Scholastic orders online. Use the link at right to place orders. Our class code is HHCCP
Be sure to place your Class photo order ASAP! Once the school places the order, they don't reorder, so be sure not to miss out! You can choose to purchase the REGULAR CLASS PHOTO, or the GOOFY CLASS PHOTO (or you can buy both!) using those links.
Sunday, October 6 Garden Day, 9:00 - 1:00
Friday, October 11 Statewide Professional Development Day (no school)
Sunday October 13 6th Graders Leave for Outdoor School
Friday, October 25 Run/Walk/Move fundraiser
Saturday, October 26 Harvest Fair
Thursday, October 31 Grading Period Ends
Friday, November 1 Planning Day - no students
Water Bottles: Please make sure your student has a water bottle they can leave in the classroom. We would like to reduce waste, and I have already loaned out all the mugs I had, and students have been resorting to using the paper cups.
Snacks! Kids love them. Please send in a box or bags of non-perishable snack. Thanks! As soon as I can get my Mac at home and my iPhone to communicate properly, I will upload photos from this year so far!
Best,
Heather and Class :)