Sunday, October 13

The Colors of Fall

Hi, 5th grade families!
I hope you are enjoying this beautiful weather as much as I am. We have been busy out in our classroom! Here are some updates:

The Brain
Counselor Rebecca Cohen came to spent Morning Gathering with us, and taught us more about how the brain works. We reviewed the function of the Prefrontal Cortex, the Amygdala, and the Hippocampus, then the students used materials to construct their thinking around one of these parts of the brain using metaphor and simile. They then wrote artist statements explaining their piece , as well as how their art piece captures their thinking. Ask your child what they remember about their metaphor, and what material they used to capture their thinking.
  

















Math
We have been learning about Order of Operations (without exponents thus far), as well as working on challenging story problems (AKA "word problems"). One of the biggest challenges with story problems is finding a starting point from which to enter a problem, and just as difficult is sticking with it and staying in the "Zone of Productive Disequilibrium". We have discussed this important "zone" in class, as it's the place a student must work in in order to learn...

Image result for productive zone of disequilibrium definition

We have discussed some tools and techniques to keep yourself in the productive zone when you feel like you hit your level of tolerance. Some students need to discuss the work with a partner, some need noise canceling headphones, some students need to take a short break and do some breathing, and others need to build a model. Students are encouraged to use these and other tools effectively in order to continue productive work with challenging learning.

As for story problems, as a class we discussed a system for finding an entry point for these problems.
Back in third grade at Sunnyside, we used an acronym "WOODS," for story problems, which stands for:
What are the "givens" (important info)
Choose the Operation
Operate
Do it two ways
Starburst/Circle (AKA "Starcle") your answer
The students decided they would like to continue using this acronym for story problems, so we reviewed the procedure and created a large poster for reference.

Multiplication Fluency - I am realizing that almost all students in our class do not have quick recall of their multiplication facts (yet!) Math learning and problem solving is a maths practice that deserves time and slow, careful thought, but mental math facts fluency has some influence in a student's ability to follow a string of thought or mental math problem solving, and it can also boost a student's math self-esteem. As we progress in math it helps for students to be comfortable and fluent with multiplication fact families. Students will be making flash cards this week based on a timed multiplication test they took. In my experience most students still need to practice these facts. Once they bring home their flash cards it would be helpful if you could help them run through these a couple of times each evening. I've found shorter and more frequent reviews are most effective.

Writing

We are currently continuing with our personal narratives (small moment stories). Based on assessments of student writing, the traits of writing I really want to focus student attention on for this piece are the traits of "elaboration" and "craft." Here are the scoring guides and expectations for 5th grade, as well as expectations for grades above and below:



Reading
Last week I had a half day sub both Tuesday and Wednesday in order to perform an updated reading assessment on each student. I was able to assess almost every student, leaving only a few more assessments left to complete. As I mentioned at Back to School night, as a third grade teacher I never gave students their "level", but by 5th grade, I believe it can help students choose within a leveled range in order to grow as an even stronger, more skilled reader. With the exceptions of the few students yet to be assessed, I gave each student their letter-based reading level this past week after meeting with them. Students will be starting weekly novel reading soon, and they should always be choosing books at their level for these novel readings (Personal Choice Novel Projects - PCNP), but they may choose books one letter level before or after their assessed level. For example, a student may be assessed at reading level "P," and to continue growth as a reader, they should choose books at level O, P, or Q, with "P" being the best choice. I bought a $5 app called "Lit Leveler," which I use to find out the level of any book in their system (and there are TONS of books in their system). When your students are reading for pleasure, they of course should read in books of their choosing, regardless of level, but books lower than their level are not likely to grow their reading skills, and will not be allowed for PCNP reading.
PCNP reading will begin soon, so look for when it appears on your child's homework sheet. PCNP reading will be organized in class, and reading for these assignments can be done at both home and school.

Read Aloud/Social Studies
We continue to read "Home of the Brave" as we practice reading strategies. This book has provided a great framework for conversations around identity, inclusion, belonging, immigration and refugees, friendship, the idea of "home" and more.
As part of social studies, we have been reviewing "group identities" focusing on eight specific aspects that make up an individual's identity within groups (race, gender, ability, ethnicity, nationality, sexuality, socio-economic class, religion/spirituality). We will continue to build understanding of each of these group identities, how they make up who we are as individuals, and how they relate to power and privilege. Groups marked with an "X" below indicate dominant groups within a category.


Another group identity not currently on the chart is body size as it relates to power and privilege. I have not added this, but will add it with intention soon.

Science
We will be headed to Mt. Tabor on Tuesday, Oct. 29 to begin 5th grade science around ecosystems. We will need three adult chaperones to join us. If you or any adult family members are interested in chaperoning, please email me to let me know. We will need chaperones from 9-2PM. ALL CHAPERONES MUST VISIT THE OFFICE ASAP WITH A VALID I.D. IN ORDER TO COMPLETE A BACKGROUND CHECK. This is necessary and legally required, and requires some time to validate, so I encourage ALL adults wanting to volunteer with our class in any capacity this year to check in with the office next time you are at school. Here's a link to complete ahead of time, which will speed up the process.

Speaking of Ecosystems, I found an absolutely beautiful book about Earth's ecosystems, and I am looking for someone willing to start a Donor's Choose page for a class set of (30) of these amazing books. If you are interested in creating a Donor's Choose page, let me know, and I can distribute it to both our class and Monica's class so both classes can share these beautifully illustrated and informational resources.

Snacks
We are set for snacks for now! Thanks to those who have contributed! Lots of kids are going through a growth spurt right now, and many are asking for seconds of snack with a tone of desperation in their voices. I always give seconds if we have enough. Thanks for helping your child eat a good breakfast, and feel free to send them with additional personal snacks and big lunches if they report feeing hungry at school as they go through these growth spurts.

Thanks for reading, and please let me know if you have any questions. Have a great week!
Heather and Class :)

Important Dates:
Friday, October 25th - Run/Walk/Dance/Move for the Arts
Saturday, Oct. 26- Harvest Fair
Tuesday, Oct. 29- Field Study to Mt. Tabor
Tuesday, October 29th - Photo Make Up Day (I am arranging with the office to see if we can get our make up photos taken first or last. Details to come.)
Friday, Nov. 1- no school
Monday, Nov. 11- no school